This took about an hour to make, start to finish. And that was with help from my 9 year old, wrangling a toddler, and chasing down a puppy who stole a few toys and shoes while I was trying to make dinner. You know, just a typical evening with kids. On my own it would have taken about 45 minutes.
- Pizza Crust ( the recipe for my homemade crust )
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 can vegan refried beans (I used Trader Joes)
- 1 can organic red kidney beans
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/4 onion, diced finely
- 1/2 package taco seasoning ( I used Trader Joes)
- Dairy free/lactose free cheese of your choice
- 2-3 green onions, diced
- handful cherry tomatoes, chopped.
1. Make your crust. I leave this totally up to you. This recipe can easily be made gluten free if you make a gluten free crust. You could also use a store bought crust if you are crunched for time. We have a tried and true recipe we use each time we make pizza- it takes about 10 minutes and is so much better than store bought. Once your crust is ready press it out on a pizza pan and set it aside.
3. Add a handful of taco seasoning to the veggie and bean mixture. The seasoning I use is spicy so I don't add a lot because of the kids. You can add more or less depending on your preference. Let simmer until the tomatoes have cooked down to make a sauce.
4. Spread the pizza crust with refried beans. Top that with the bean and tomato mixture, and then top with cheese. Sprinkle with a little extra taco seasoning (about a teaspoon).
5. Bake according to directions for the crust-mine baked at 425F- until the cheese is melted and the crust is done. About 2 minute before it is done, pull it out, sprinkle with chopped grape tomatoes and diced green onion. Put back in the oven to warm the topping.
This tasted just like nachos on a pizza crust. The beans take the place of meat nicely- it is very filling. You could use black beans instead of kidney- it really is your preference. Topped with a little homemade guacamole, or just left as is, it was a great, easy weeknight dinner. Kid tested and approved.
*Thanks to my husband for grabbing the camera and taking pictures while I made this. Otherwise there wouldn't have been a post today.
*This recipe is Vegan and can be made Gluten Free.
Post a Comment